Originally called Fort Wayne Hotel, it opened in 1926 under the aegis of the Masonic branch of the Knights of Pythias who had established its lodge on the second level
(in what later became a ballroom). During the Great Depression, the building changed ownership and was renamed American Hotel.
The 300 room complex closed in the 1990s.
Ballroom, American Hotel, 2007