The hotel, opened in 1916, was a great success and an extension doubling its capacity was built in 1927 by Albert Kahn. It became one of downtown major hotels with nearly 900 rooms. Gradually, parts of the hotel were shut and the last occupants left Fort Shelby in the late 1990s.
It was restored in 2008, like its neighbor the Book-Cadillac Hotel.
Corridor, Fort Shelby Hotel, 2005